Skip to main content

Hanging out with Julian Wenn




Julian Wenn

Julian Wenn is a singer, actor, dancer, lyricist and MC. He is best known for making it to the semi-finals of South Africa's Got Talent in 2013.

What makes him truly unique is his friendly nature, captivating charisma and ability to sing about social conscious issues, a subject matter which many artists do no not cover.
So, we meet up at the upmarket Seattle Coffee Shop in Claremont. After being informed about our interview the day before, the waitress treated us and the Win Media Production team with delicious complimentary chocolate milkshakes topped with cream, strawberry milkshakes and ice tea, throughout our interview, making sure that our thirst is quenched.

Delicious beverages courtesy of Seattle Coffee Shop.
Q and A
How would you define yourself in a nutshell?
I’d box myself in the unboxable box of the unlimited being, a jack of all trades but a master of fun. I also like to question and ask why we can’t do things this way or that way.

Please tell me about your background?
I grew up in Parow (Cape Town), I attended The Settlers High School. Throughout my high school years, I was involved in the school choir and Cadette band. After school, my parents got divorced and I went on to study Musical Theatre at TUT in Pretoria/Tshwane.

If you could define your sound in a few words, how would you define it?
I will be releasing my album next year, we’ll have a massive album launch …Regarding my sound Joshwinning (Julian’s nickname for Joshwin; the Director of Win Media Music) over here described it as “Reggae soul”, Julian went on to describe it as: “conscious acoustic soul, with some alternative sounds with some rock influences - John Mayer meets bob Marley meets The Beatles with a bit of Lenny Kravitz. I address social conscious issues in some of my songs that people can relate to and that you don’t want to deal with at the same time (but not just through my music) I’ve packaged it and am busy giving it to people through my one man show called Wenn in La la land – putting a narrative thread to the messages using my music, just acting, entertaining, being a comedian, being a clown all at the same time (reiterating that he is the master of all entertainment trades but the master of fun)

What was some of the challenges of South Africa's Got Talent?
It was nerve – wrecking, but amazing. The challenge was not getting through (the semi-finals) … (Long Pause) … Although I think I was developing myself, but the real challenge was that South Africa wasn’t ready for taking on something new yet, we want to look at what England or America does because they’ve been the pioneers of the industry (“Western” music industry) – however my look and my style or what came out of my mouth didn’t fit the South African packages of yet. But together we can start formulating it now, we can start educating our audiences and briefing them on who I am, because I need to be myself, Basheerah needs to be herself, Joshwin needs to be himself in order to go forward, because if I am a copy I’m just going to fall in line and be forgotten about.

 Some of your best moments on the show?
Performing at the CTICC (Cape Town International Convention Center) live on Television to an audience of 7 million and to those three awesome judges (Ian, Kabelo, Shadow) and their enormous response which included 100% positive comments and they even mentioned my brand name – Wenntertainment. And my family and friends being there.

Where did your love for music start?
At the age of nine, I wanted a radio for my birthday, I've always loved music. In grade 2, I played the recorder. My mother sang in community choirs and my dad loved to make me sing at karaoke’s.

Who do you look up to musically?
I look up to artists such as Bob Marley, Nina Simone, Frank Sinatra, Karen Zoid, Stevie Wonder and Robbie Williams.

If you weren't a singer, what would you be?
A creative industry although I worked in the hotel industry for a while when I was nineteen and nearly made a career out of it almost going overseas, until my mom shot me down and cursed me onto this ridiculous, awesome, ethic path… this journey of light and plunder of the entertainment industry. I also would have loved to be a landscaper or a Horticulturist (understands and works with plants), because of my affinity with nature and if it wasn’t for music, I probably would have gone in that route. Or just to work in a social environment because I’m not an office person, I can’t stand to be behind my laptop for more than like three hours.

Julian and I having fun with the Win Media Company team.
Favourite:
Saying: “I am an unlimited being, but the full phrase is a mantra that I would love for everyone to receive: I am an unlimited being, I can create anything that I want” (repeat for mantra).
Places to hangout: Knysna, it’s my holiday place. I love forests, the beach and nature.
Music on your playlist at the moment: “I’m also super old school, I was listening to Barbara Strysand the other day (He went on to sing some golden oldies), I’m learning to play some Justin Bieber and I’m loving Taylor Swift, don’t tell the world but I’m a swifter – The production on her tracks are just so amazing, they’re so simple and so catchy. But I’ve been a radio head forever. I like a good song, I just like good music like I like good food; if the food is good I’m gonna eat it (Pause) if the music’s good I’m gonna listen to it”

If you could collaborate with any music artists, who would it be?
Reason and Karen Zoid (but is in the process of collaborating with a young upcoming vocalist - Kelly Massyn).

How would you define your style?
I like to have a casual but classy look. I'm a vintage and waist coat kinda guy (He is normally seen performing wearing this style and even a suit at times).

What are your future plans?
Write another one-man show but firstly focus on my albums. I am also planning on creating a concept album that features different talented artists around Cape Town and even in the country, Wenntertainment presents… (Pause)…cosmos. It’ll feature maybe an artist from Zimbabwe or a white Buddhist lady singing with a Muslim guy (butchering) and creating with poetry – it’s gonna be something different but it mustn’t be too esoteric that it blows your mind completely (We chuckled, you can see this vision portrayed in his latest music video for his hit track LOVE IS).
Message to your fans?

Yes, there are many man-made problems but also many man made solutions out there. Question everyone and everything. Love each other and instead of complaining about problems (he lists a few good tasks one could undertake) help make the world a better place. Because if we don’t do it, no one’s gonna do it.
 
Julian and I wearing Applicable Co-Creations bags#ProundBrandModels!!!

Special thanks to Seattle Coffee Shop for their hospitality. There beverages are truly amazing and perfect for a hot spring\summer day. Go and check out what they have to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORMER THE WILD'S SEXY ZAKEEYA PATEL ON HER SPARKLING ACTING CAREER,WHY SHE DEFINES HERSELF AS A COLOURED-INDIAN-,MUSLIM-CATHOLIC&MORE!

THE WILD'S SEXY, BAD GIRL ZAKEEYA PATEL -  On her sparkling   acting career, shares her future plans, reveals what she wants in a guy & more... IMAGE COURTESY OF GLAM FUEL. Fast facts Zakeeya describes herself as   outgoing,friendly,perceptive and hard working lady. She started acting at young age and spent most of her free time performing. she comes from a family of mixed cultural backgrounds,having lived   in Cape Town,Durban and Johannesburg. "Sometimes people don't realize that and immediately think Zakeeya Patel is a drug addict who sleeps around. When you're on set you're never drinking alcohol and you're never naked in love scenes - it's all pretend. after all.’’ 25-Year-old sexy Zakeeya Patel well -known as former saucy,wild-party girl, Amita Khan in mzansi’s premier soapie, The Wild is living her childhood fantasy. She has always dreamt of being an actress and making it big in the acting i

1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

Carl Wastie and I. Carl Wastie 1 on 1 with Carl Wastie So, I got to sit down and have a good chat with energetic media personality, Carl Wastie at a popular restaurant in Cape Town. Known for his dynamite (literally, after all, dynamite does come in small packages), who cam miss his funky mohawk? Carl is friendly and super-humble . Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell? He is a Cape Town-based individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I studied psychology at UCT and later worked at a video shop. People from Good Hope FM saw me at an MC gig, all thanks to the people at the video shop. So, I could say, I started my career in the entertainment industry out of a video shop. You can't believe in luck and hard work at the same time, because lucky people are those who are at the right place, at the right time. Hard workers put themselves in the right place and get there at the right time. Since then, people Good Hope FM spotted me and then Expresso . I

JAG RETURNS TO GRAND ARENA FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY!YOU READY?JAG NOW & BACK THEN+INTERVIEW WITH EMO ADAMS

The countdown has begun! Boy band JAG returns to Grand Arena for 1 night only You Ready?            '' We are all excited, nervous and sad'' Yes, JAG might be an acronym for just another group but as Cape Town gears up for their highly anticipated one night only farewell performance at the Grand West Arena on the 7 th of September, their   is certainly nothing ordinary about the former boy band made up of Emo Adams, brother Loukmaan Adams, Nur Abrahams, Sury Boltman and Mono Dullisear. Their ability to perfect harmonies, vibey personalities, energy when performing and ability to make ladies go gaga, is what makes them too cool, to be ordinary! Days before their final performance in Cape Town, Emo Adams reveals that there is definitely a high level of emotion in the air.’’ We are all excited and nervous and sad that this is the very last time people get to see us together as JAG,’’says Emo . As a group Jag decided to hit the mother city last, as they wa