Skip to main content

1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

Carl Wastie and I.
Carl Wastie
1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

So, I got to sit down and have a good chat with energetic media personality, Carl Wastie at a popular restaurant in Cape Town. Known for his dynamite (literally, after all, dynamite does come in small packages), who cam miss his funky mohawk? Carl is friendly and super-humble .

Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell?
He is a Cape Town-based individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I studied psychology at UCT and later worked at a video shop. People from Good Hope FM saw me at an MC gig, all thanks to the people at the video shop. So, I could say, I started my career in the entertainment industry out of a video shop. You can't believe in luck and hard work at the same time, because lucky people are those who are at the right place, at the right time. Hard workers put themselves in the right place and get there at the right time. Since then, people Good Hope FM spotted me and then Expresso.
I'm about humility, family, youth and fun.

A few things people do not know about you?
I am a fully-fledged water polo coach, as well as a football coach. I used to coach in high school and during my gap year. I started my radio career by doing an advertisement for a bank. I'm also missing a tooth in my lower jaw. I am also a bit of a nerd because I love gaming. I am a Fifa 15 and 16 fan. My happy place is either playing Xbox or visiting Hermanus, Franschhoek, or somewhere on the West Coast.

When you're not on radio or TV, what do you do for fun?
I enjoy visiting high schools and doing motivational talks, because not a lot of people know what my story is like, especially youth. They think some person spotted me and that my parents are rich. I think the youth need to know there's a journey. It's not the result that's important, but they journey they take.

What music do you listen to?
Thirty Seconds To Mars, Linkin Park, The Weekend and some old school Motown and Stevie Wonder.

How would you define your style?
It's just expressive. The people that question it are like "Why the hairstyle?"People who love it are like "Wow, it's unique, it's cool. It makes you recognizable." My hairstyle is all inspired by Jared Leto's Closer To The Edge video. I love what that stood. It's about how society pushes youth to lengths that they are not really equipped for and that we should be more careful about the way in which society conducts itself in front of the youth. The perception they have right now is the way they will respond when they're adults. I was in a bad space at the time, checking out the video. Jared Leto had a large mohawk and I thought why not just do it? I did it and I have not looked back, I think it's cool. In the entertainment industry, they're always looking for something unique. I haven't done it on the basis of that.

Have you had any awkward moments on air?
No, but during a Jive Cape Town Funny  Festival Show a few years ago, the MC played a prank on me. After interval, I had to hide in a box as part of my act. The MC kept me in the box for 45minutes. Thereafter, I pranked the producer and told him I'm not coming back again.

You host your own show, Afternoon Live. Please tell me what the experience is like thus far?
Listeners are fee to call in and express themselves. I called my show Afternoon Live, because it is after all about the Cape Town listeners. It expose peoples realness via WhatsApp voice notes. People are able to send voice notes. It is reality in the most entertaining way. In this day and age, DJ's are focused on how popular they can become. Its not about us, it's about the listener. We owe it to them to stop and take a selfie in the mall.

If u weren't on radio what would you be doing?
I really love people. I would work in the psychology field and be a motivational speaker. I would also love to be a professional footballer. I love football and would definitely want to play for Real Madrid or Bafanna Bafanna.

Future plans?
The future lies in developing youth and for them to express themselves. I have this vision, to create a agency which taps into different mediums musically and entertainment wise. I want to create something that is sustainable for the youth.

Carl can be heard weekdays on Good Hope FM, hosting #AfternoonLive between 2pm-4pm. He also hosts the Good Hope FM Top 30 music countdown on Saturdays between 9am-12pm and can be seen as a gossip guru on popular youth show, Hectic Nine-9 on Fridays.


Twitter:@sheerahdediva


Comments

  1. Happy weekend, may be given abundant sustenance
    Obat Kapsul Untuk Rematik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello all
    am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
    they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
    peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
    now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
    Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
    I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

    Available Services

    ..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

    ..Western Union Transfer all over the world

    ..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

    ..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

    ..Spamming Tool

    ..keyloggers / rats

    ..Social Media recovery

    .. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

    discount for re-seller

    Contact: 24/7

    fixitrogers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Después de graduarme de la universidad no había trabajo, así que decidí tener una pequeña empresa, pero el dinero no era suficiente, cerré la empresa, se puso muy difícil para mí, era el único hijo de mis padres y mis padres. Ambos son viejos, confían en mí para la nutrición diaria, un día, mientras navegaba por Internet, vi una publicación sobre cómo esta NUEVA TARJETA DE ATM EN BLANCO PROGRAMADA puede piratear un cajero automático y retirar una gran cantidad de dinero, así que me comuniqué con la empresa a través de su correo electrónico. Para mi mayor sorpresa, recibí la tarjeta unos días después de pagar una pequeña tarifa por la tarjeta. Esa tarjeta de cajero automático en blanco es un producto excelente y maravilloso. Nunca hubiera creído que podría adquirir todas estas cosas que tengo hoy con esta gran alegría en mi corazón, por eso les estoy compartiendo la buena noticia ... La vida se trata de ser positivo y paciente, en la fe de que las grandes cosas son posibles y puede suceder en segundos ... BRAIN HACKERS TECH WORLD ha cambiado mi vida ... Gracias a Dios puedes enviar un correo electrónico a VIA ( brainhackers @ aol . com ).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FORMER THE WILD'S SEXY ZAKEEYA PATEL ON HER SPARKLING ACTING CAREER,WHY SHE DEFINES HERSELF AS A COLOURED-INDIAN-,MUSLIM-CATHOLIC&MORE!

THE WILD'S SEXY, BAD GIRL ZAKEEYA PATEL -  On her sparkling   acting career, shares her future plans, reveals what she wants in a guy & more... IMAGE COURTESY OF GLAM FUEL. Fast facts Zakeeya describes herself as   outgoing,friendly,perceptive and hard working lady. She started acting at young age and spent most of her free time performing. she comes from a family of mixed cultural backgrounds,having lived   in Cape Town,Durban and Johannesburg. "Sometimes people don't realize that and immediately think Zakeeya Patel is a drug addict who sleeps around. When you're on set you're never drinking alcohol and you're never naked in love scenes - it's all pretend. after all.’’ 25-Year-old sexy Zakeeya Patel well -known as former saucy,wild-party girl, Amita Khan in mzansi’s premier soapie, The Wild is living her childhood fantasy. She has always dreamt of being an actress and making it big in the acting i

JAG RETURNS TO GRAND ARENA FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY!YOU READY?JAG NOW & BACK THEN+INTERVIEW WITH EMO ADAMS

The countdown has begun! Boy band JAG returns to Grand Arena for 1 night only You Ready?            '' We are all excited, nervous and sad'' Yes, JAG might be an acronym for just another group but as Cape Town gears up for their highly anticipated one night only farewell performance at the Grand West Arena on the 7 th of September, their   is certainly nothing ordinary about the former boy band made up of Emo Adams, brother Loukmaan Adams, Nur Abrahams, Sury Boltman and Mono Dullisear. Their ability to perfect harmonies, vibey personalities, energy when performing and ability to make ladies go gaga, is what makes them too cool, to be ordinary! Days before their final performance in Cape Town, Emo Adams reveals that there is definitely a high level of emotion in the air.’’ We are all excited and nervous and sad that this is the very last time people get to see us together as JAG,’’says Emo . As a group Jag decided to hit the mother city last, as they wa