Skip to main content

From the UK to SA, the 11th Jive Cape Town Comedy festival, held at the Baxter Theatre features some of the best local and international acts.



     From the UK to SA, the 11th Jive Cape Town Comedy festival, held at the Baxter           Theatre features some of the best local and international acts.
Tumi Morake

The stellar variety of acts this year include; Siv Ngesi, Tumi Morake, Carl Wastie, Earl Okin, Bruce Airhead and the Bacalla clowns. The month-long festival,directed by Eddy Cassar has attracted thousands of people, since opening night. Selecting local entertainer, Alistair Izobell, as the MC was a smart choice. Izobell adds his own Cape Town flavoured humour as the host.


Here are six reasons why you should watch it:

Bruce Airheard from the UK does the unthinkable with a gigantic balloon. It will leave you in awe and wondering "How does he do it?." It seems like mission impossible, until he pulls of jaw-dropping tricks.

Earl Okin's humour is not for the faint-hearted. Accompanied by his guitar, Okin uses his musical ability to tell jokes.He happens to be Paul McCartney and Van Morrison’s favourite guitarist.He also plays the trumpet,saxophone and trombone.

Q and A with Earl
How does it feel to be part of the Cape Town Funny Festival?
This is my second time.10 years ago we had to share a car, now we all have our own.

What inspired your bold style?
My favourite music is opera. I always wanted to dress like my favourite tenor, Enrico Caruso. It became what I wear. I have been dressing like this for the past 20-40 years.

What are your thoughts on Cape Town? 

       I have been told don't go to Long Street at night. It’s not safe. It’s a sleepy, sea-side town compared to London. A trip in Cape Town that would take me 10 minutes, will take me one hour in London.

Favourite place to hang out in Cape Town? 

      My hotel room.At night I watch TV.I would love to go to Table Mountain.

Carl Wastie swops his cool-guy vibe,and takes on the role of a female fashionista. His small stint starts the festival on a rather fashionable note. Wastie can be also heard as a presenter on Goodhope FM as well as Hectic Nine-9.

How does it feel to be part of the Cape Town Funny Festival this year?
Amazing, because Eddy Cassar trusts that no matter what he puts me in, I'll do a good job. Every year, that I'm part of the festival, I feel more part of it. It's always a pleasure and an honour to be part of it.

Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell?
A Cape Town individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I am all about humility, family, youth and fun. I have a UCT phycology degree and I am also an Xbox junkie.

You enjoy changing your hairstyles. What inspires your bold styles? 

      My mohawk was inspired by Jared Leto's Closer To The Edge video large mohawk. I was in a bad space at the time and thought,why not? I haven't looked back.I have dyed my green, yellow, pink and blue.Maybe,when the bocks get into the world cup, I'll do a golden green.

Music on your play list at the moment? 

      30 seconds to mars, Linkin Park, The Weekend as well as old school music. Definitely some Stevie Wonder.

What has been your most embarrassing moment as an entertainer? 

      Alan Committie played a prank on me during a Cape Town Funny Festival a few years ago. I had to hide in a box. They pranked me and kept me inside the box for longer than expected. I hid in it for 45 minutes, before they revealed me.

Siv Ngesi is known for his controversial and hilarious comedy antics. Also a charmer and hottie,Ngesi will leave you in stitches.

Tumi Morake is one of the best female comedians in the business. Besides comedy, she is also known for her work as an actress, writer and TV Presenter. Morake is daring as can be on stage and tells it like it is. She will also be a part of the Cape Town Funny Festival which will be heading to London later this year.


All the way from Italy, the Baccala duo will have you cringing and sitting on the edge of your seat. They recently won an award for being "the world’s best comedic clowns” in a Cirque du Soleil competition. Their critically acclaimed show Pss Pss has been performed over 400 times in 30 countries on 5 continents.
The Cape Town Comedy Festival ends on Sunday, 16 August 2015.
Tickets are available at computicket.In November this year, the festival will be heading to London.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FORMER THE WILD'S SEXY ZAKEEYA PATEL ON HER SPARKLING ACTING CAREER,WHY SHE DEFINES HERSELF AS A COLOURED-INDIAN-,MUSLIM-CATHOLIC&MORE!

THE WILD'S SEXY, BAD GIRL ZAKEEYA PATEL -  On her sparkling   acting career, shares her future plans, reveals what she wants in a guy & more... IMAGE COURTESY OF GLAM FUEL. Fast facts Zakeeya describes herself as   outgoing,friendly,perceptive and hard working lady. She started acting at young age and spent most of her free time performing. she comes from a family of mixed cultural backgrounds,having lived   in Cape Town,Durban and Johannesburg. "Sometimes people don't realize that and immediately think Zakeeya Patel is a drug addict who sleeps around. When you're on set you're never drinking alcohol and you're never naked in love scenes - it's all pretend. after all.’’ 25-Year-old sexy Zakeeya Patel well -known as former saucy,wild-party girl, Amita Khan in mzansi’s premier soapie, The Wild is living her childhood fantasy. She has always dreamt of being an actress and making it big in the acting i

1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

Carl Wastie and I. Carl Wastie 1 on 1 with Carl Wastie So, I got to sit down and have a good chat with energetic media personality, Carl Wastie at a popular restaurant in Cape Town. Known for his dynamite (literally, after all, dynamite does come in small packages), who cam miss his funky mohawk? Carl is friendly and super-humble . Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell? He is a Cape Town-based individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I studied psychology at UCT and later worked at a video shop. People from Good Hope FM saw me at an MC gig, all thanks to the people at the video shop. So, I could say, I started my career in the entertainment industry out of a video shop. You can't believe in luck and hard work at the same time, because lucky people are those who are at the right place, at the right time. Hard workers put themselves in the right place and get there at the right time. Since then, people Good Hope FM spotted me and then Expresso . I

JAG RETURNS TO GRAND ARENA FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY!YOU READY?JAG NOW & BACK THEN+INTERVIEW WITH EMO ADAMS

The countdown has begun! Boy band JAG returns to Grand Arena for 1 night only You Ready?            '' We are all excited, nervous and sad'' Yes, JAG might be an acronym for just another group but as Cape Town gears up for their highly anticipated one night only farewell performance at the Grand West Arena on the 7 th of September, their   is certainly nothing ordinary about the former boy band made up of Emo Adams, brother Loukmaan Adams, Nur Abrahams, Sury Boltman and Mono Dullisear. Their ability to perfect harmonies, vibey personalities, energy when performing and ability to make ladies go gaga, is what makes them too cool, to be ordinary! Days before their final performance in Cape Town, Emo Adams reveals that there is definitely a high level of emotion in the air.’’ We are all excited and nervous and sad that this is the very last time people get to see us together as JAG,’’says Emo . As a group Jag decided to hit the mother city last, as they wa