Skip to main content

UPDATED: THE LOWDOWN ON THE 2014 CAPE TOWN FUNNY FESTIVAL+ BACKSTAGE INTERVIEWS AND PICS!



The inside scoop on The 2014 Jive Cape Town Funny Festival...
Updated:24 june ,2014
             Exclusive:
       Backstage pics & interviews ...
+ The lowdown on The 10th Cape Town Funny Festival

Trevor Noah and I.

The 1Oth Jive Cape Town Funny Festival offered an exciting, star -studded line-up of acts. 


Yosuke Ikeda and Tauriq Achmat.
Scrumptious treats kept festival goers coming back for more!Tauriq Achmat and Moosa Sampson provided a cool and  vibrant atmosphere at the 10th Jive Cape Town Funny Festival, courtesy of Jive Cool drinks.

Throughout the festival, they entertained festival goers with scrumptious food, assorted Jive cool drinks and pumping beats.

Local and international comedians, as well as festival goers were treated to scrumptious, strictly halaal boerewors rolls and Jive cool drinks throughout the festival.

Comedian, Yosuke Ikeda from Japan kept coming back for more every night.

I really enjoyed the unique taste of the boerewors. The wors was tasty and soft, which made it have a melt in the mouth effect.The onions braised "just right" and their chilli sauce provided the perfect topping.

Moosa Sampson and Yaseen Barnes.
The Funny Festival cast .



Tauriq and Moosa wishes to thank all supporters throughout The Jive Cape Town Funny Festival.



Despite an injury, and being on  crutches, comedian Trevor Noah had the audience in stitches.  Trevor used his injury to his advantage, as he joked about it. He also touched on issues such as South Africa’s very own fake sign language interpreter . There were times that I was like,''Did he really just say that?''
Mario - Queen of the Circus' from the U.S.A was also a crowd favourite.He left the audience stunned with some of the intense stunts he pulled off. Yes, even I was  cringing at times(#BBMCan’tWatchFace).
Meanwhile, other local favourites included Riaad Moosa, as he joked about his family life, such as the awkward phases he has to go through as a parent.
Upcoming local comedian, Schalk Bezuidenhout impressed audience members too, as he joked about the Afrikaans background he comes from,  including, Jack Parow, amongst other things.
Another crowd favourite on the night was Christian Lindemann, who had the audience stunned at his pickpocketing talents.       
Felicity Ward from Australia, also managed to impress the audience as she joked about her experience as a comedian and experiences in Cape Town, amongst other things.

Sharleen-Surtie Richards is the first female to host the Jive Cape Town Funny Festival. She admitted backstage that she gets nervous every time she goes on stage. However, she added that hosting the festival has been a great  experience thus far.
The vibe backstage was pretty chilled, as most of the performers were relaxed and eager to chat.


However , one could not help but sense the nervousness amongst Schalk and Yaseen Barnes(Winner of the GHFM Laugh Master Competition).They seemed slightly intimidated by Trevor Noah’s presence. Yes, I admit even I was too. 
   Fun Backstage interviews
         Q and A with...
          Riaad Moosa

How does it feel to be part of the jive Cape Town Comedy Festival?
I am so happy that Eddy included me and it's paying. It’s more like Eddy begged me. Just kidding, I have got kids, so I am happy to be out of the house.
Complete the sentence: Comedy is ...dot dot dot.
What would you say is the biggest myth about comedians?
Yes, people do think we tell jokes all the time.
I am trying to teach my kids comedy too.
Who are you role models in the comedy industry?
I go through phases all the time but American stand-up comedian, Bill Burr is one of my role models.
Would you ever go back to being a doctor?
It would be difficult to go back now as I love comedy, and also if I make a mistake it will be in Heat magazine.
What are your future plans?
I will be having my own show on SABC 3 soon , called The Riaad Moosa Show.

       Q and A with... 
       Felicity Ward


How are you finding Cape Town so far?
It’s beautiful! I have been on The Big Wheel at The Waterfront. I have also been on a safari and visited Camps Bay Beach. It was the first time I went to the beach wearing boots, a jacket and a scarf.
How does it feel to be part of the Jive Cape Town Comedy Festival?
It’s been amazing, I had no idea what to expect at first.
What are your thoughts on local, South African comedians, compared to comedians back home in Australia?
The comedians here are very much politically inclined unlike back home, as people aren’t as politically inclined. We don’t have much people actively commenting on the political state of Australia.
Do you find it challenging being a female in such a male-dominated industry?
Sometimes, I don’t even think about it, and sometimes I am reminded that I am a woman. I don’t like being reminded about it.
What have you learnt about South African cultures thus far?
I have learnt that the racial integration is quite impressive.

      Q and A with... 
     Schalk Bezuidenhout 




What has performing at The Jive Cape Town Funny Festival been like thus far?
It has been great!. Especially the international acts, as well as Marc Lottering and
Nik Rabinowitz. Tonight, will be even more exciting with Riaad Moosa and Trevor Noah on the line-up.
Where do you get inspiration from? I get inspiration from my Afrikaans culture. However, I am trying new elements to make my material more universal.
When you not on stage what do you do?
I study. I am also doing a play in Grahamstown soon.I rehearse during the day.
What are your future plans in terms of your career in the entertainment industry?
I would like to do more stand-up comedy and acting. I would really like to carry on being a stand-up comedian, especially since I am finishing my studies next year. So, I want to do as much as possible and take whatever opportunities come my way.
Do you ever get nervous on stage?
Yes, every night there is a bit of nerves. I think when you get too comfortable, that’s when you start making mistakes.
Eddy saw me at Jou Ma Se Comedy Club one night, and the rest is history.
Who do you look up to in the stand-up comedy industry?I look up to all the big guys such as Riaad Moosa, Nik Rabinowitz and Marc Lottering. They definitely of an international standard.

The Jive Cape Town Funny Festival will be heading to London in October this year.

Kev Orkian joins the line-up this week and will be performing until the 22nd of June.
PHOTO GALLERY
Backstage...










Spotted...
 


               Volunteers do their bit for charity!                 
Volunteers Firdauz Malick, Teneale Williams and Firdous  Fernold helped collect money for Red Cross Children's Hospital.

.
photography
                                     by Cady Newman.


                    Special thanks to Eddy Cassar
                              (Festival Director)

www.funkysheerahd.blogspot.com
2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORMER THE WILD'S SEXY ZAKEEYA PATEL ON HER SPARKLING ACTING CAREER,WHY SHE DEFINES HERSELF AS A COLOURED-INDIAN-,MUSLIM-CATHOLIC&MORE!

THE WILD'S SEXY, BAD GIRL ZAKEEYA PATEL -  On her sparkling   acting career, shares her future plans, reveals what she wants in a guy & more... IMAGE COURTESY OF GLAM FUEL. Fast facts Zakeeya describes herself as   outgoing,friendly,perceptive and hard working lady. She started acting at young age and spent most of her free time performing. she comes from a family of mixed cultural backgrounds,having lived   in Cape Town,Durban and Johannesburg. "Sometimes people don't realize that and immediately think Zakeeya Patel is a drug addict who sleeps around. When you're on set you're never drinking alcohol and you're never naked in love scenes - it's all pretend. after all.’’ 25-Year-old sexy Zakeeya Patel well -known as former saucy,wild-party girl, Amita Khan in mzansi’s premier soapie, The Wild is living her childhood fantasy. She has always dreamt of being an actress and making it big in the acting i

1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

Carl Wastie and I. Carl Wastie 1 on 1 with Carl Wastie So, I got to sit down and have a good chat with energetic media personality, Carl Wastie at a popular restaurant in Cape Town. Known for his dynamite (literally, after all, dynamite does come in small packages), who cam miss his funky mohawk? Carl is friendly and super-humble . Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell? He is a Cape Town-based individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I studied psychology at UCT and later worked at a video shop. People from Good Hope FM saw me at an MC gig, all thanks to the people at the video shop. So, I could say, I started my career in the entertainment industry out of a video shop. You can't believe in luck and hard work at the same time, because lucky people are those who are at the right place, at the right time. Hard workers put themselves in the right place and get there at the right time. Since then, people Good Hope FM spotted me and then Expresso . I

JAG RETURNS TO GRAND ARENA FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY!YOU READY?JAG NOW & BACK THEN+INTERVIEW WITH EMO ADAMS

The countdown has begun! Boy band JAG returns to Grand Arena for 1 night only You Ready?            '' We are all excited, nervous and sad'' Yes, JAG might be an acronym for just another group but as Cape Town gears up for their highly anticipated one night only farewell performance at the Grand West Arena on the 7 th of September, their   is certainly nothing ordinary about the former boy band made up of Emo Adams, brother Loukmaan Adams, Nur Abrahams, Sury Boltman and Mono Dullisear. Their ability to perfect harmonies, vibey personalities, energy when performing and ability to make ladies go gaga, is what makes them too cool, to be ordinary! Days before their final performance in Cape Town, Emo Adams reveals that there is definitely a high level of emotion in the air.’’ We are all excited and nervous and sad that this is the very last time people get to see us together as JAG,’’says Emo . As a group Jag decided to hit the mother city last, as they wa