Skip to main content

COOL INSPIRING PERSONALITIES SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS ON YOUTH DAY,SHARE THEIR MESSAGE TO THE YOUTH OF S.A,REVEAL THEIR BEST YOUTH MOMENTS&MORE!+FAST YOUTH DAY FACTS#YOUTHMONTH


#YOUTHMONTH2013
Days before Youth Day, I chat to some cool personalities about their thoughts on Youth Day,they share their message to the youth of South Africa&more…
Writes Basheerah de villiers

Fast Facts about #Youthday (also     referred to as National Youth Day)

·       Youth Day is celebrated to commemorate the 1976 Soweto Uprisings, whereby hundreds of black Students took to the streets of Soweto, then to Orlando Stadium, to protest against Bantu Education.

·       It was in 1953 that the Apartheid Government enacted the Bantu Education act.

·       Afrikaans was made compulsory in schools and black learners were forced to be taught in Afrikaans, along with the English language.

·       Certain subjects such as social studies , Maths & Algebra were taught in Afrikaans.

·       The Afrikaans language was seen by black pupils as the language of the oppressor.

·       Even though the protest was intended to be peaceful, riots were visible all over. Police reacted with teargas and hundreds of students were killed.

·       Youth Day is also remembered by the death of 12-year-old Hector Peterson,that was killed in the protest action .

·       According to statistics, R644 was spent annually on a white students, by the government at the time but only R42 was spent on black students.

·       Although the revolution did not see the taking back of the language order immediately, it however, resulted in pressure put on the nationalist government and lead to the downfall of the apartheid government.


Q & A WITH SOME COOL&INSPIRING S.A PERSONALITIES…

Jimmy Nevis, Singer
Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate this day? It's important because it speaks about the possibilities and accessible opportunities available to our current generation.

How will you be celebrating you day this year?I will  be performing!(follow Jimmy on Twitter and Facebook@Jimmynevis for detailed listings)

Best memories regarding  being a youth?My best memories regarding being a youth  are d reaming and being able to not have responsibilities.

Messsage of inspiration to the youth?Initiate your dreams and don't be afraid to be somebody and make an impact.
(FULL JIMMY NEVIS INTERVIEW COMMING SOON)
Sasha Lee Davids,2009 Idols SA Winner
If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why?
Organised
- I like everything in it's place, so it's easier 2 find and looks neat.
Perfectionist - I tend 2 take my time on certain things I do cause I like 2 make them as perfect as I'm able to
Joker - most think I'm serious but I love to laugh and joke around.

 Complete the sentence: youth day is ...and why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate this day?

Youth Day is a day that we celebrate our youth of 1976 who took to the streets in protest against the apartheid regime in SA. It's important for the youth to celebrate this day in memory of those before us who fought and lost their lives for our freedom.

 Best memories regarding  being a youth and what was your favourite subject at school?
My best memories are the opportunities I had to experiment & explore different avenues to find myself, which is the most exciting time of a youths life.

Favourite subject at school?My Favourite subject  was Afrikaans, simply because of the teacher I had, she cracked me up!
 Message to of inspiration to the youth?
Be sure it's your passion and LOVE what you do, that way you'll keep working hard no matter what happens.

Carl Wastie, DJ
 Carl Wastie and I
If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why?
Persevering: There is not a single challenge that I see as not doable. All it takes is some positivity and elbow grease.Caring: If you need a shoulder, I’m your guy J Believe it or not, I'm a good listener.Random: I have been told this a thousand times, “Dude, you’re so random”. I see life in a few different ways at the same time and that’s why every day is consistently different for me.


Complete the sentence...Youth day is...a reminder that young people have a powerful voice and a reminder that, that voice echoes in South Africa’s future. It’s a day to inspire young people to use South Africa’s past to fuel change in the future.

Would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate this day? I think it’s an important day for everyone. We all were Teenagers, adolescents and young guns once upon a time, so why not put a focus on what we’ve learnt and how it educates what we are learning right now.

What are your best memories regarding being a youth? I was a youngster when I coached soccer and water polo to youth at High School and those young minds are my best memories. I learnt that it’s better to educate and invest in youth while you’re young.
Favourite and worst subject when you were at school? Biology and maths respectively.Biology was always tangible to me because you were literally learning about your anatomy and the environment around you. Bio, still today, is a great topic of conversation. I’m such a nerd, maths made it difficult to get to the simplest answer. That doesn't even make sense I did learn later in life, that maths is probably the most important subject you'll ever do at school.

Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers? There are no small people in life, I know it’s weird coming from a short guy like me but let me finish. Be kind to all you meet and come in to contact with, be sincere even if it’s a street sweeper, a waiter or a random car guard. Remember that every interaction is a chance to plot the way you want to be remembered. I got into the radio industry by being good to customers in the video shop I was working in...One customer gave me a bursary to study psychology and another gave me a job as an MC which led to radio #nosmallpeople.

Chenelle Davids, Hectic Nine 9 Presenter

If you could describe yourself in 3 words what would it be and why?
Energetic,go-getter,entertaining...those 3 describes me best seeing that I'm in an industry where I have to make use of those 3 elements on a day to day basis.
Complete the sentence youth day is...Wow, youth day is a day where we celebrate those youngsters who fought in the struggle against apartheid and also where we as a youth celebrate how much we , as a country, have grown.
Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day? Firstly,in order for us to reach our destination we need to know where we come from...when we realize what those in the past have done for us to be where we are...so much more appreciation comes about in our everyday lives.
How will you be celebrating youth day this year?
Well..youth day is on a Sunday...so, I'll be at church with the family...but will most definitely write something about youth day.

Best memories regarding being a youth thus far? Hahahaha wow...I'll have to say the freedom we have to explore and really just live...
Message to aspiring Tv Presenters?
Keep pushing...if it's in GOD's will for you ,then it will happen!

Lesego Modutle, Hectic Nine - 9 Presenter .


If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why? Love - The first word I think of when describing myself is love. I have so much love in my heart and I openly give it to anyone who will receive it. I love my family, friends and colleagues very dearly and I become very protective over those who have become dear to my heart.Passionate - I am very passionate about the things I invest my emotions and time in, things such as love and my job.Fun - Although, I spend most of my time working, I do believe in balancing hard work with some fun. I am a very fun person to be around, I enjoy being silly and find myself to be a ball of energy which bursts when I'm around people.

Complete the sentence youth day is a day of reflection and celebration. We reflect upon the youth of the apartheid era who stood up and fearlessly fought for the freedom that we, the youth of today, enjoy so nonchalantly. We celebrate their bravery and appreciate their victorious efforts. 
Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day?
It is important for the youth to celebrate this day, not only because it is a public holiday, but because of its true meaning. This day is a huge part of our history...this day changed our whole nation for the better!
How will you be celebrating youth day this year?
 I will be celebrating Youth Day by taking time out to think of the young people from the past generation who sacrificed their lives to liberate our current generation.

 Best memories regarding being a youth thus far? My best memory of being a youth is making it as a presenter on Hectic Nine-9. Hectic Nine-9 is a youth show thus millions of young people tune in to hear what I have to say. This gives me a huge responsibility of being a positive influence in their lives. I have to use this platform to inspire and change the youth for the better and I know they will listen,because I am a youth myself so I am speaking to - as well as with - them rather than at them.

 Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers.. When you have a dream hold onto it and be patient....things may not happen at the time we want them to but they will happen when the time is right. Trust God, because his timing is always perfect!


Chloe Geldenhuys, Singer
If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why? bubbly, hard-working, friendly.
Complete the sentence youth day is..a day to celebrate the youth in our country. (Focused on remembering the roles the youth played in the Apartheid regime.)
Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day?
It is important because it is a day that is celebrating YOU as part of the youth. You should use the day to appreciate what the youth in the apartheid regime sacrificed for us to have the lives that we are living today.
How will you be celebrating youth day this year?
Because youth day is a holiday, I will be spending it with my friends and having fun!
Best memories regarding being a youth?Creating memories with friends, being on Idols and enjoying the school life.
Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers Being young, you have so many opportunities to make it in the entertainment industry, such as youtube, competitions, shows and social media. Create contacts that could potentially help you make it. Most importantly, never give up!

Graham Marinus, Krump dancer
If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why? I define  myself as Diligent - When I want something bad, I work for it! Generous - I'm willing to give my last to those who are unfortunate. Venturesome - Life is about chances, and I'm the taker.
Complete the sentence youth day is a day for the young to feel important. The world do acknowledge us.

Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day? It's important for the youth to celebrate this day, because there's a Fathers Day and a Mothers Day, all regarding adults. Well, here is your day! This is it!
How will you be celebrating youth day this year?
I'm celebrating Youth Day by teaching some youths what Krump is. Main focus: escaping the negative.
Best memories regarding being a youth? It's a privilege for me to be young. It only comes once in your life. At the age of 15, my talent for Krumping was radical. Until I had the opportunity to dance with some of the world's best. This was major for me, because I was so young. Youngest among all. A memory I will never forget.
Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers? My message to the youth: We are still young and damn clueless. Let us learn from others who achieved in life already. Let they be your motivation and role models. Never mind "YOLO". Cats laugh at us humans when we say that.

Percy De Villiers, Singer
If you could describe yourself in 3 words what it be and why? Spontaniously down-to-earth Perseverance .. Meaning: I'm easy to get along with and don't judge easily. What you see is what you get!
Complete the sentence youth day is a very historical day in the lives of we as the youth and to the future generation. We must engage in making this a permanent thing!
Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day?
It is important for the youth to celebrate this day as it reminds me of the struggle people like Hector Peterson had to fight for us. People died, so we'll be able to celebrate this awesome day with each other, in memory of those who lost their lives for us.


How will you be celebrating youth day this year? I will be entertaining the youth of the gem in the KLEIN KAROO, Oudtshoorn which is always great for me, because it really touches the youth. I will also be performing at the Calitzdorp Port festival.
Best memories regarding being a youth thus far Being a youth is the most awesome thing in this society of us, after all - we are the adults of tomorrow. We are the lawyers, doctors, presidents and entertainers of South Africa.
A Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers:
Don't let anybody compromise your dreams !!
Dream the impossible, unreachable dream.
You are the master of your own dreams a
nd only you can make that happen.

Brad Roman,CTV Presenter

If you could describe yourself in 3 words what would it be and why?
Craze.. Crazee.. Crazeee
Complete the sentence youth day is..
the role in liberation of South-Africa from the apartheid regime.
How will you be celebrating youth day this year?
By empowering every single young one I get to walk pass and just to remind them that they're are tomorrow's leaders.

Why would you say it is important for the youth to celebrate youth day?
So they're can always remember the struggle's youngsters had to experience at such a young age during the apartheid regime,as well as all the young one's who lost their lives during the protest.

Best memories regarding being a youth ?Definitely for being young... Lol... I got the chance to raise my voice without being rejected and most importantly for getting the opportunity to complete my school career.
A Message to the youth and aspiring entertainers: Just enjoy being young, it won't last forever! Live a positive life and strive for success coz only those who chase dreams will catch 'em!

Rembering June 16 1976...



funkysheerahd.blogspot.com

2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORMER THE WILD'S SEXY ZAKEEYA PATEL ON HER SPARKLING ACTING CAREER,WHY SHE DEFINES HERSELF AS A COLOURED-INDIAN-,MUSLIM-CATHOLIC&MORE!

THE WILD'S SEXY, BAD GIRL ZAKEEYA PATEL -  On her sparkling   acting career, shares her future plans, reveals what she wants in a guy & more... IMAGE COURTESY OF GLAM FUEL. Fast facts Zakeeya describes herself as   outgoing,friendly,perceptive and hard working lady. She started acting at young age and spent most of her free time performing. she comes from a family of mixed cultural backgrounds,having lived   in Cape Town,Durban and Johannesburg. "Sometimes people don't realize that and immediately think Zakeeya Patel is a drug addict who sleeps around. When you're on set you're never drinking alcohol and you're never naked in love scenes - it's all pretend. after all.’’ 25-Year-old sexy Zakeeya Patel well -known as former saucy,wild-party girl, Amita Khan in mzansi’s premier soapie, The Wild is living her childhood fantasy. She has always dreamt of being an actress and making it big in the acting i

1 on 1 with Carl Wastie

Carl Wastie and I. Carl Wastie 1 on 1 with Carl Wastie So, I got to sit down and have a good chat with energetic media personality, Carl Wastie at a popular restaurant in Cape Town. Known for his dynamite (literally, after all, dynamite does come in small packages), who cam miss his funky mohawk? Carl is friendly and super-humble . Who is Carl Wastie in a nutshell? He is a Cape Town-based individual that feels that humility is more important than talent. I studied psychology at UCT and later worked at a video shop. People from Good Hope FM saw me at an MC gig, all thanks to the people at the video shop. So, I could say, I started my career in the entertainment industry out of a video shop. You can't believe in luck and hard work at the same time, because lucky people are those who are at the right place, at the right time. Hard workers put themselves in the right place and get there at the right time. Since then, people Good Hope FM spotted me and then Expresso . I

JAG RETURNS TO GRAND ARENA FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY!YOU READY?JAG NOW & BACK THEN+INTERVIEW WITH EMO ADAMS

The countdown has begun! Boy band JAG returns to Grand Arena for 1 night only You Ready?            '' We are all excited, nervous and sad'' Yes, JAG might be an acronym for just another group but as Cape Town gears up for their highly anticipated one night only farewell performance at the Grand West Arena on the 7 th of September, their   is certainly nothing ordinary about the former boy band made up of Emo Adams, brother Loukmaan Adams, Nur Abrahams, Sury Boltman and Mono Dullisear. Their ability to perfect harmonies, vibey personalities, energy when performing and ability to make ladies go gaga, is what makes them too cool, to be ordinary! Days before their final performance in Cape Town, Emo Adams reveals that there is definitely a high level of emotion in the air.’’ We are all excited and nervous and sad that this is the very last time people get to see us together as JAG,’’says Emo . As a group Jag decided to hit the mother city last, as they wa